Temporo-mandibular joint (TMJ) dysfunction is common and can present as pain, tenderness, headaches, clicking and decreased ability to open/close the jaw.
TMJ dysfunction therapy is more than sleeping with night guard. Your physiotherapist will perform a detailed assessment to determine range of motion, muscle imbalances, joint restriction and muscular tension.
Some of the causes of TMJ dysfunction are:
- Clenching/grinding of teeth
- Trauma eg. after a motor vehicle accident
- Plus much more
Due to the variety of reasons why TMJ pain can arise, after your physiotherapist conducts an assessment they will determine the source of the dysfunction and begin treatment. Treatments may consist of:
- Manual (passive) stretches, massage and mobilization of the joint and muscles around the TMJ
- ROM and strength exercises
- Correcting posture and rest positions of the joint and spine
- Education regarding relaxation of the joint and body as a whole
- Ultrasound and/or laser to stimulate circulation, healing and pain
- Acupuncture or Intramuscular Stimulation to release tension around the joint and muscles
Book an appointment with one of our TMJ physiotherapists, Shirley Estey or Paul Chang.